June 2, 2017

my thoughts on real books vs. tablets

real bookstablets

I love reading  (as if you didn't already know that by now ;) ). But when I read, I like having a real book in my hands. I know a lot of you enjoy reading on tablets (I've actually read a book or two on a tablet myself) but its just not the same. There is something just so much more special reading from a real book than it is reading from a tablet.
Today I will share with you why I think real books are better than tablets.

the blog

Every time I get a new book to add to my shelf, I normally end up changing its home from one shelf to another about 81717838294 times (ok. I know I'm exaggerating :) ) before it looks perfect. And every time I get a new book, I admire seeing on the shelf with my sizable collection of books.
But when you have a tablet, you cant admire your library like you can when your books are on a bookshelf. Its just a long list of books and its not very pretty.



09ada07faf9c7548b17876b41a476f46



smell



I love smelling my books. (maybe i'm weird??) Especially when they're really old. They just have that certain smell about them that I love. Even the new books have the scent of newness. But the tablets just don't have that smell. In fact, they don't smell like anything at all, which is really quite sad. :(



thrift



Ok. So if you are anything like me, you buy your books mostly by going to thrift stores. I cringe when I spend money on books over $10. Actually I cringe when I spend money on anything over $10! :D
Anyway, when you have a tablet, you cannot buy second hand books to read on it. They have to be brand new.





borrow



I love sharing books with my bookish friends, and I love borrowing books from them too. But if you have a tablet I would think that it would be really, really hard to do.



press



I love pressing flowers in my books. I guess you could say that its a hobby of mine. I love it when I'm reading a book and I turn the page and I see a perfect flower pressed on the page! It just makes that book even more beautiful!



53da750eb3e7f299c7e85aa3bfdc8d67



Reading real books is just so much nicer. You can listen to that lovely sound the pages make when your turning them, you can skim through your book without much difficulty, and they're just so much more special. Tablets just don't have that kind of magic.



631a11ce9f334d352b75ab38e05ba0c7



- maddy



lets talk



what are your thoughts on this?
which one would you rather use to read?
do you have another point i didn't mention?

16 comments

  1. Emmy the Gemmie6/02/2017

    I agree with you on all points. I love having real books for all of these reasons. My poor eyes, however, prefer to read from a tablet because of the backlight and adjustable font size. For that reason, I read a lot of digital books, but they will never be able to replace the real thing in my heart or on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes this is so true!!! I've read a couple books on our desktop and never really get into them as I do a real book. :( And yes, the smell of a real book! Wonderful! :)

    Got your email, shall be readying the chapter soon! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! I much rather read from a real book, but I don't mind occasionally reading off of my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Emmy the Gemmie!! ;)
    That's understandable and I guess tablets are nice for when you need the words to be bigger.
    Thanks for stopping by! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant get into them as well as a real book either.
    Thanks for commenting, Rosalyn!

    Great! Make sure to tell me how you like it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Maddy!
    Sometimes, if there isn't a book at my library and they have it for free on the tablet, I'll read it, but I'd much prefer a REAL book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree with you - there's nothing like a real book! I get most of my books from thrift stores (or op shops as we call them in Australia) too. To me it adds even more to the story - you never know what notes you might find scribbled on the pages, or bookmarks, or other fascinating things. :)

    I just found your blog, Maddy, and I've enjoyed looking around and reading back through your posts. Keep spreading sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosalyn Rooney6/03/2017

    Finished your chapter last night and replied to your email :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jessica!!
    Yes. I agree with you!! I've found quite a few neat things in books I've gotten at thrift stores before.
    I'm glad that your enjoying it! Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll check the email out as soon as I can. I wont be back home until Monday, so I'll write you back then!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. In a college English course I took, this was the subject of a paper we had to write. You had to pick a side, and then defend your position! I was for the tangible book! 📚 I wish I could find that paper, so I could see what my points were! Lol. The only thing I'll say for digital books now (10 or so years later) is that it's nice to be able to search a digital book and I like it when I'm reading at nighttime and I don't have to use a flashlight! 😊 But I still love my real books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really neat!!
    Yes ma'am, those are some good points (especially the one with the flash light 😊) but real books will always be my favorite!!
    Thank you so much for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruby Deanne6/21/2017

    I agree with you completely. :) And no, you're not weird for smelling your books, I love doing that. I also love the idea of pressing flowers in your pages....it seems to me that must make a good reread so much sweeter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruby Deanne6/21/2017

    Sharing books.....YES!!! I love sharing a book with someone, especially if I'm sure they'll like it. It's like sharing a bit of joy. Like music. Telling someone about a song they've never heard, and it turning out that they love the song is just a really great feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Ruby! Yes, I love pressing flowers in the pages of my books! I guess you could say that its a hobby of mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know! Sharing books with friends is the best!
    Thank you so much for commenting, Ruby!

    ReplyDelete

kind words are worth much and cost little. so leave me a comment and make my day!

© little bit of sunshine. Design by FCD.