May 19, 2018

I GOT MY BRACES OFF!!! || what it's like


Y'ALL!!! I GOT MY BRACES OFF!!!!! *cheers* *throws confetti* Y'all have no idea how excited I was about getting them off!! On the visit before I got them off, I asked my orthodontist if there was any way I would be able to get them off before I graduated. She said, "Absolutely. We'll try and get them off on your next visit." When my orthodontist told me that, I did everything in my power not to start jumping up and down. I was supposed to wear them for 24 months but I only had them on for 18 months!! I got them off six months early!! I guess all the hard work with brushing, flossing, and proxying paid off.

So I was a little disappointed at first because I thought I'd have to have my senior pictures taken while I still had my braces on, but a friend of mine (that I babysit for sometimes) who works at the orthodontist office said that she would try and persuade the orthodontist to get me in a little earlier so I could get them off before my senior pictures. So I guess she convinced her because I got them off TWO WEEKS EARLIER!!!!

Anyway, today I'm going to be talking about what it's like getting the braces off.

GETTING THEM ON
I did a post a few moths ago about getting braces put on and how to care for them. So if you're interested in reading that post click here. 
GETTING THEM OFF

Getting them off was actually pretty easy. They explained to me what they were going to do and then they started popping brackets off which took about eight minutes. They gave some kind of cotton thing that I bit down on while they popped the brackets off, and I noticed that the harder I bit down on it, the less pain I felt. But the pain wasn't that bad. Just a little pressure.
The worst part about taking the brackets off was taking those silver rings off around the back teeth. I have to admit, that hurt. And I was sore the next day from it.

After taking the brackets off, they began taking off the glue which took about fifteen minutes. That didn't hurt at all, it was just kind of loud. I rubbed my tongue around my teeth when they were done and I was like, "This feels so weird." My teeth felt so slimy and for some reason kind of soft???

I then went to rinse my mouth and wipe off my face and that's when I saw my teeth for the first time. My first thought was, "Woah. My teeth are really big." But they were so straight. I felt a rush of excitement fill my body.

The next step was taking the impressions for the retainers. I was expecting it to be really bad, but it was better than I had imagined. They just took this impression stuff that felt like chalky gummy stuff and stuck it in your teeth and you have to hold it there for about 30 seconds. On the top and the bottom. Just don't move your tongue around and you should be fine ;)

After rinsing my mouth again, they took me to go get pictures and x-rays. That all took about ten minutes.

When I went back to my chair, they cleaned and polished my teeth which took about five minutes, and then painted on floride and I was all finished.

They all congratulated me and then handed me a cup filled with candy I couldn't eat when I had my braces. Milky ways, lolly-pops with tootsie roll fillings, sour patch kids, sour skiddles...Mmmmmmmm!!!



Right when I got back in the van I took a selfie. I was SO excited!!



But anyway, I am very happy with my new smile!! All of the hard work in caring for them paid off because I didn't have any white spots and I left the orthodontist with a new set of teeth :)

I go back on Tuesday to get my retainers, so maybe I'll do a post on that sometime.


Also, Megan from A Barefoot Gal is having an awesome giveaway on her blog! You should go check it out!


Do/did you have braces? When did you get them on/off? What was your braces experience like? Was this post helpful?
 
 
 


24 comments

  1. I had braces when I was 13-15. I didn't have the metal bands wrapping around my teeth and my mouth is cold sensitive, so getting them off was painful in some ways. And the mold for the retainer was hard because I have a small mouth and it hit my gag reflex so I couldn't breathe when doing it. Haha, still worth it.

    My experience was awesome. My orthodontist was the best and I was sad to hear when he retired.

    My one tip is never let yourself slack on the retainer. I do that and it hurts so much when I put it back in after a while. I get mad at myself for that.

    I do sometimes miss them, oddly enough. But your smile is so pretty with or without braces. Wonderful before and after pictures. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the same age as my brother when he had his braces. He had his braces put on when he was 13 and he gets them off the month after he turns 15. I think he was kind of jealous because I got my braces taken off before him, haha!
      And yes, its definitely worth it all in the end ;)

      I'm so happy! Mine was too.

      Thanks for the tip!! I'll have to remember it. A friend of mine said that the retainer is worse than the braces, so I'm hoping that's not the case with me.

      THANK YOU SO MUCH, IVIE <333

      Delete
  2. Wow! You look so much different without braces! On Monday I haft to go to the orthodontist and get a mold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, really?
      I hope your orthodontist visit goes well :)

      Delete
  3. Yay that is so exciting Maddy!! I can imagine it feels amazing to have just "teeth" in your mouth and not so much metal and such 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel amazing to just have teeth in my mouth, lol!! Thanks, Shalom :)

      Delete
  4. I need braces pretty soon and I am sooo not looking forward to it, the idea of getting them taken off freaks me out too. So this post was definitely helpful, you're so pretty btw! Before and after braces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting braces put on and taken off was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, so I'm sure you'll be fine with it :)
      Awwww thanks so much, Hannah <333

      Delete
  5. Congrats on getting you're braces off!!! I'm getting them off in the summer so I'm pretty excited about that :P I love that flower picture by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, CORI!!!! Yay! I know you're excited about getting them off!
      Thanks! I was pretty happy with how it turned out :D

      Delete
  6. I've never had braces, but my older brother and sister did. When we moved here from another state, the dentist here wouldn't take my brother's braces off, because they hadn't been the ones who put them on. So he actually tried taking them off himself! I don't remember well how it went though!
    Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. That's terrible. Did he finally get them off?
      Thanks, Laura :D

      Delete
  7. AW MAN. I LOVE THE BUCKET OF CANDY. congrats girly! You'll look back at this post when you are use to no braces and smile!

    missed your blog!! (it's been a while since I've had blogging time!)

    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED IT TOO!!! (at least while it lasted, lol)

      Thank you, Vanessa <333

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!! You have a super cute smile!!!! I am looking forward to some orthodontist work soon, and probably am going to be doing my "teeth post" in a couple of weeks... AKA, crashed into a pool wall when I was twelve, thus, I am missing a tooth, so I am going to be getting my smile fixed in a couple of weeks (finally). ;)
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks so much, Erica!!!!! I had a bicycle accident when I was thirteen or fourteen and I lost three of my teeth. I'm happy to have them all fixed now though :D
      Hope your orthodontist work goes well <3

      Delete
  9. Love the before and after pictures! I'm so glad you were able to get them off before graduation!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, BROOKLYNE!!! And I am too :D

      Delete
  10. Congrats that's awesome!
    My brother just got his on Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got braces quite a few years ago (I think 6 or 7 now?) but I still remember what it was like! I was able to get my braces off a few months early too, which was AWESOME! Your new smile is so pretty! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you got your braces off early too! awwww thanks!!! <3

      Delete
  12. Rosalyn Rooney5/28/2018

    Well, HALLILUJAH! It must feel amazing having them off!!! :D Congrats!! Yumm, those candies sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!! And yes, the candy was delicious. At least while it lasted xD

      Delete

kind words are worth much and cost little. so leave me a comment and make my day!

© little bit of sunshine. Design by FCD.