September 1, 2018

MY THOUGHTS ON "FOLLOW YOUR HEART"

 

 
 
"Just follow your heart."

"Your heart will guide you."

"Do what you think your heart is telling you."


 
We hear this quite a lot. The world is constantly drilling this into our heads, whether it be from Disney movies or songs on the radio. Everybody is always telling us to believe in ourselves. To follow our hearts. If it FEELS right, then it must be right.
 
I think this sort of thinking is wrong. Let me explain myself.
 
The Bible says:
 

For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
Mark 7:21-23

 
 

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jeremiah 17:9

 

The Bible is saying that our hearts are wicked and deceitful and that we don't even know our own hearts.  
 
Why would we want to follow something that God calls deceitful?

 Nothing good comes out of our hearts. They lie to us and they trick us. They tell us to go after what we want, but they don't show the consequences. They blind us to the truth.
All of our choices and decisions should be based on God's Word and what it says and not how we feel or what we think our heart is telling us.
 
So if we do anything with our hearts, we should give them to the Lord. 
 

 My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.
Proverbs 23:26

Sometimes it's hard to submit to God's Word and not give into our feelings. And while we may be thinking that we're doing the best thing for ourselves, we're missing out on something much more greater than we could imagine. We're wishy-washy, imperfect souls that don't see the big picture like God does. He knows best. God's Word is perfect. His Word will never steer us the wrong way, unlike our hearts.

 
 
 
 
 

11 comments

  1. This is such a great post! And I love those first two pictures!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME post, Maddy! I totally support this way of thinking! :D And I noticed something - do you use the KJV version??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And yes, I do use the KJV :D

      Delete
  3. And THIS is the reason I love reading blogs. I feel like I am always learning something new!! Thanks for sharing this!!
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww i'm so happy that you got something out of the post <333 and thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Rosalyn R.9/04/2018

    YES!! Every time I hear someone say that, I scream "no!" in my head! :D Loved this post, Maddy! And those pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise words from a most precious, godly young lady. I love you dearly Sweety. Keep your eyes on Jesus! He knows best. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, Mrs JuLisa <33 thank you for the sweet comment :)

      Delete

kind words are worth much and cost little. so leave me a comment and make my day!

© little bit of sunshine. Design by FCD.